*This is a list of helpful educational apps and tools that we think are useful:
1. Co-writer - Co:Writer® is a writing tool that aids with phonetic/inventive spelling, grammar, and topic-related vocabulary. Co:Writer has been a trusted friend to writers and communicators for decades (tracing its roots back to the days of the Apple II in the late 70s).
HOW DOES CO:WRITER WORK?
As letters are typed, Co:Writer predicts the intended word with a selection of word suggestions using powerful grammar-smart word prediction. These suggestions can be read aloud with a swipe. Selecting the intended word places it into the document. For feedback while writing (and after writing) built-in text to speech can be used to read letters, words, sentences, and the entire document.
2. Writing Wizard - Writing Wizard is designed to help every child learn how to trace letters, numbers, and words through a fun system carefully designed to maintain motivation.
• Show and enforce how to trace letters correctly
• 9 Fonts available
• Fun tracing using 50+ animated stickers, sound effects and interactive games that animate letters at the end of tracing
• Uppercase & lowercase letters, numbers and words
• Ability to create your own word lists (and record audio for each word)
* Uses Handwriting Without Tears font
3. Splingo's Language Universe - Your child will practice their listening and language skills by interacting with the images and animations on the screen to follow Splingo the alien’s spoken instructions. As a reward, they will love helping Splingo build a space ship and complete the tasks in order to get him home. His hilarious animated responses will capture your child’s imagination.
4. Phonto - Phonto is a simple app that allows you to add text to pictures.
・ More than 400 fonts are available.
・ You can install other fonts.
5. L -Dots -
- Learn to associate the phonic of the letter with its shape.
- Multi-touch - because children's fingers often touch other parts of the screen without intending to.
- Children can learn to identify the shapes of letters and numbers before they have the dexterity to make the lines, curves, and dots required to write with a pencil or pen.
- No Ads! (and there never will be)
- L-Dots is intended as an introduction to ABC's and 123's. Children even younger than two years of age can start playing and learning.
6. Describe It To Me - Describe it To Me is a fun, multi-level game, created to help improve the receptive and expressive language skills in children and adults. Based on research and designed by a certified speech-language pathologist, Describe it To Me employs a game show atmosphere to engage clients in their learning while incorporating a variety of questions designed to help clients build a deeper understanding of everyday items.
7. Drawing Desk - Our unique collection of tools such as 3D brushes, NEON Brushes, Glitter brushes, Gradient brushes, Pattern brushes, Shapes, Typography tools, Realistic brush tools, Smooth eraser, Ruler, Smudge tool, Water Color, Paint roller and many more are waiting for you to provide great enjoyment in drawing sketching or painting. Drawing Desk is full of content to jump start your drawings or sketches such as Coloring Pages, Stickers, Stamps and many more.
8. Keyboarding Fun
9. Glow Draw - Do you like drawing? Do you like glowing? Waaaaaah!- Try Glow Draw!!!
10. Word Wizard - Word Wizard offers several unique reading and spelling activities for children ages four to 10:
• A talking Movable Alphabet that allows kids to experiment with phonics and word building thanks to the advanced text to speech engine.
• 3 spelling activities that increase in difficulty
• 184 built-in word lists (about 1800 words)
• Add your own words to create unique spelling quizzes
• Keep tabs on your children’s progress with detailed reports
11. Toca Boca series - Toca Boca captures the power of play. We create digital toys and everyday products that are filled with fun and silliness that kids from any corner of the world can instantly relate to. Everything is designed from their perspective. We celebrate the diversity and quirkiness of their world and give them the freedom to play in ways that only they can dream up. There are no rules, no boundaries and no “right” or “wrong” way to do anything. There’s just the undeniable, power of play. At school we have used Toca Boca Kitchen, Toca Boca Doctor, and Toca Boca Hair Salon. There are many to explore and have fun playing while building vocabulary and creating motor plans to engage in functional real life experiences.
12. Starfall - Starfall is the brain-child of Stephen Schutz. At age 9, Stephen was still struggling to read. What came easily for his peers required many more hours of his work. As a reader, he was consistently toward the bottom of his class. Now a PhD in physics and a successful publisher and artist, Dr. Schutz, with the help of his dedicated team, created Starfall to ensure today's children have resources that can help.
13. Children's Countdown Timer - Watch as the timer runs from green to amber to red, helping the child understand that time is running out. A fun picture is slowly revealed as the time runs down and when the time is up the child is rewarded with an exciting sound and the picture spins. Background image changes to match the time of day, so that your child is given subtle hints as to what time of day the task they are being asked relates to. Choose your own image to reveal from your iPhones photo library to really surprise your child. Endless possible uses:
14. Rush Hour - This is the original sliding block Traffic Jam puzzle, brought to you by the company who created it – ThinkFun. This Rush Hour game comes with a whopping 2500 challenges, ranging from Beginner to high Expert. It's a brilliant range of challenges, if we do say so ourselves… you're going to have a lot of fun on your iPhone with Rush Hour!
15. Speech with Milo - Milo is back to bring you Sequencing exercises like you have never used before! Enjoy 35 dynamic sequencing exercises using animation to keep your child engaged. Speech with Milo: Sequencing was created by a licensed Speech-Language Pathologist to help children develop sequencing and storytelling skills. The adorable mouse Milo brings a friend along this time to entertain and help your child. There are many other "Milo" apps as well.
16. Silly Sentence Articulation - Created by Erik X. Raj, M.S., CCC-SLP, Silly Sentence Articulation is an interactive app for your iPad, iPad mini, iPhone, and iPod touch that features a collection of over 500 silly sentence questions (also known as absurdities) designed for speech-language pathologists to use with individuals who exhibit difficulty producing the following speech sounds: S, Z, R, L, S/R/L Blends, SH, CH, and TH.
17. Talking Tom Cat 2 - Have fun with the one and only Talking Tom Cat! Play with him, poke him, and talk to him – he’ll repeat what you say in a hilarious voice. And you can even make funny videos and share them with your friends! Great tool to practice expressive language and production of speech sounds.
18. Model Me Going Places - Model Me Going Places™ is a great visual teaching tool for helping your child learn to navigate challenging locations in the community. Each location contains a photo slideshow of children modeling appropriate behavior.
19. Conversation Builder - Conversation Builder truly captures the essence of a give and take conversation by putting your child directly into the conversation. A picture is presented, the child chooses from a list of possible things to say and the child records the appropriate response. The conversation then continues by way of a built in, pre-recorded question or comment from a friendly peer. In the end, you have a 4-part or 8-part conversation to play back that includes your child’s voice in it.
20. Epic! - The leading digital library for kids, where kids can explore their interests and learn with instant, unlimited access to 25,000 high-quality ebooks, audiobooks, learning videos, and quizzes for kids 12 and under.
EPIC! FOR THE HOME
For families, Epic! offers unlimited access to 25,000 of the best children's books and learning videos so your child can read and learn anytime, anywhere. After a 30-day free trial, Epic! costs only $7.99/month and includes up to 4 individual child profiles per account. You can easily cancel at any time.
21 Strip Design - Make your photos come to live and tell a story you can share with friends and family. With Strip Designer you will create comics from beginning to end: Sketch, draw, mask, add warped 3D lettering, balloons, and combine everything with complex panel layouts.
22. Skitch - Use Skitch to snap it, mark it up with simple tools, and send it on in an instant. Your bold ideas stand out even brighter with Skitch.